I mailed a box of gifts to the UK on 13th December via Priority Mail (5-10 Business Days). It wasn’t cheap! I filled in the Customs Declaration etc. etc…. and prayed my sister got it in time. Well, TODAY she gets a letter from Parcel Force telling her that her package wasn’t delivered because she owes £16 in Duty for it. Now, in the UK whenever something is imported into the country you have to pay Duty on it. But, this wasn’t a purchase… this was a gift.
So I check…..
VAT and duty on gifts sent from outside the EU
If someone from outside the EU sends you a gift that isn’t alcohol, tobacco, perfume or toilet water, there’s no VAT to pay as long as:
- its value is no more than £36
- the sender has filled in the customs declaration properly
- a private person, not a business, sent it to you or your family
- it’s for your own or your family’s use
- it’s a proper gift and not something you’ve bought – you mustn’t have paid for it
- it’s an occasional gift like a birthday present
You won’t have to pay any duty if the amount of duty due is less than £7. If it’s more than £7 you will need to make a payment direct to the carrier.
The sender can’t pre-pay any VAT and duty due on a gift.
What a crock of ……. *grrrrr*….
Utterly ridiculous. So now my sister has to PAY for her Christmas Gifts?
I am furious….. it’s bad enough I don’t get to spend Christmas with my family, but now I can’t send them gifts either.
I’m going to end this post now before I degenerate into ALL CAPS AND EXPLETIVES!!!